Monday, May 12, 2014

Let's talk.

Technology has destroyed our world.

And yet, it's saved us all at the same time. Right? We live in a world where we are constantly connected, be it the short, impersonal snapchat, or the long, intricately-worded text. We are always just a click away.

It's funny, though.

In a time when we are more connected than ever before, we have become more disconnected than ever before.

We walk with our heads down, hands glued to our phones. Thumbs scrolling through pictures so we can be up to speed with our friends' Instagram posts, taking a quick selfie to show off what we're doing that our friends aren't, talking to our friends in a group text about absolutely nothing, not even aware of the world around us.

We Millenials are under the illusion that we need these things because they help us stay more connected to people than we could be otherwise. And in a way, that's true. But in that same way, we have lost touch with what goes on around us. 

My family and I will go out to dinner somewhere. We'll sit down, look through the menu, order, then get on our phones.
I'll be driving with a friend and one of us will get on the phone.

Suddenly all this precious time we have with those who are actually physically around us is thrown to waste because we are too busy talking with friends that are spread across the world.

I'm not playing innocent here. I'm 100% guilty of it too. But I'm beginning to see just how alone I feel when I am in pushing to be in contact with the hundreds of people I am "connected to" via social media.

I am learning to put my cell phone away, keep it out of sight. People can wait.
I mean it, they really can.

Maybe you don't see the problem at hand. Try it, though. Put your phone in your back pocket when you walk. Keep your head up, notice the beauty around you. 

Notice the growth and new life springing up around us in this season. Go sit on your back porch one night and just look up at the stars; no need to Instagram this moment. Because you're there, you feel it, and you see it. That's all that really matters.

"Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing." 
Isaiah 40:26


No comments:

Post a Comment